Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reading the Classics Together – The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul

holiness of god.jpgToday kicks off another large group reading project through Tim Challies blog. We're reading R.C. Sproul's classic work, The Holiness of God. I own a very old paperback version of this book that has been read at least twice since I first purchased it. I'll need to listen to the audiobook (which was graciously discounted by Christianaudio.com for just this occasion) when we get into the final chapters, since my edition is too old to have those additional chapters.

Chapter One – The Holy Grail

Sproul, I think, is at his best when he writes. I've heard him speak on many subjects, even this topic of holiness several times, but he's just better at writing. He's very descriptive, from his opening moments of this chapter, harkening back to his days at college where he first became aware of God & His holiness, to his attempts at describing Nothing. This was the most enjoyable portion of the chapter. The philosophical explanation for how God simply was, is and always will be, how only He can create from nothing – everyone else has always needed previously existing resources to create anything – causes me to stand in awe of our great God.

The "grail" for us is to come to grips with God's holiness and then emulate that, following the command directly from this holy God, "Be holy, even as I am holy." R.C. Sproul will help us comprehend both God's holiness and our own attempts to pursue and obey that command.






Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , ,



3 comments:

  1. Kevin, good to have you on board! Looking forward to reading a great book that challenges us into knowing God as He is.

    Have a most blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know Sproul’s writings, not his speaking, so I can’t compare the two, but I definitely like this writing. You captured this well: his writings also “cause me to stand in awe of our great God”. I’m looking forward to reading more about God’s holiness (and dare I say, becoming more holy). Thanks for your review of chapter 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you...I prefer his writing to his speaking. I loved his discussion of "nothing" too. Here are my belated thoughts on Ch. 1: http://homewithpurpose.blogspot.com/2010/10/reading-classics-together-holiness-of.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts here, but keep in mind, they could get lost in mine!